Money Matters - Simplified

Brangelina break-up reports bogus; tabloid agrees to pay damages

The power couple of Hollywood sued the News of the World in January after the newspaper carried bogus reports of their legal separation.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie will be receiving an undisclosed sum of money in damages from a British tabloid, which falsely reported their break-up earlier this year.

The power couple of Hollywood sued the News of the World in January after the newspaper carried bogus reports of their legal separation. The falsely-fabricated stories even suggested that Jolie-Pitt had negotiated custody arrangements.

Jolie-Pitt break-up reports were “false and intrusive”
The stars, who are busy attending premieres for Jolie’s new flick Salt, did not turn up for Thursday’s hearing at London High Court.

Their lawyer revealed that Rupert Murdoch's News Group has admitted that the reports about Brad and Angelina’s break-up were “false and intrusive”.

When the News of the World failed to publicly retract the allegations and apologize for them — thereby leaving their readers in the dark as to the true position — the couple felt they had no alternative than to sue. -- Brangelina’s attorney Keith Schilling

Brangelina sued the newspaper after it refused to retract false stories
Brangelina were reportedly furious over a front page story titled ‘Pitts all over,’ carried by the newspaper on Jan. 24. They decided to take action against the tabloid for misuse of private information and breach of the 1998 Data Protection Act.

“When the News of the World failed to publicly retract the allegations and apologize for them — thereby leaving their readers in the dark as to the true position — the couple felt they had no alternative than to sue,” said Brangelina’s attorney Keith Schilling.

“Today's victory marks the end of the litigation brought by Brad and Angelina.”

The newspaper went to the extent of reporting that Brad and Angelina visited a divorce lawyer and were discussing about the division of their assets and the custody of their six children.

However, Jolie and Pitt were nowhere even close to splitting; they said the story was entirely made-up.

Divorce lawyer says he’d never met the stars
Sorrell Trope, the divorce lawyer cited in the story, has flatly refused being approached by the Hollywood stars.

“I have never met... your clients or had any involvement with either of them. The foregoing is true with respect to all other members of this firm,” Trope reportedly said.

Money from the case will go to Jolie-Pitt Foundation
The British tabloid confirmed that a settlement has been reached with Brangelina, but they refused to divulge any further details.

The couple’s attorney, however, revealed that the newspaper has agreed to publish an apology for the fallacious reports they carried about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. They will also be paying for the legal costs and other damages, which the couple intends to donate to their charitable Jolie-Pitt Foundation.